All Hail Aucoin

Stop the press, a contouring phenomenon has crept into my life. Beneath the irresistibly chic and sleek packaging lies Kevyn Aucoin's Sculpting Powder (Shade Medium).

Slimming the face, through the crafty technique of contouring, is something those of a square-headed nature such as myself are eternally grateful for. Unlike my beautiful best friend, who is blessed with naturally gorgeous, sculpted facial architecture, I am one of 'fuller' cheeks if you will. Contouring allows us to give the impression of a sharper bone structure and accentuate those angles that may just need some encouragement to peek through. The art is to blend a darker shade in those areas that shadows would naturally fall if light fell directly onto our face, that is, the hollows of our cheeks, our temples, the sides of our nose and underneath our jawline.

Searching for a shade to fit the bill is a tireless struggle. It is easy to detract from the natural and effortless objective, often cheapening the look, by choosing a shade too orange or red. The Sculpting Powder by Kevyn Aucoin is incredibly cool toned; we want to create a shadow rather than bring warmth to the face, as we would with bronzing. The pressed powder has grey and taupe under tones with no shimmer whatsoever, permitting an ashy natural shadow. I have very fair skin and find it of paramount importance that a product blends seamlessly without looking as though I have a tiger's stripes streaked across my face. When used with a light hand, the product blends beautifully and I find the smallest amount is needed to achieve the desired look. Personally this factor makes this product excellent value for money, the exceptional quality of the product, alongside it's likelihood to make residence in my make up collection for quite some time, makes the 6.5g product entirely worth the hefty price tag.
I am still experimenting here and there to discover it's life long companion in brush form. I don't reach for the tiny applicator provided but have been tossing up between the Real Techniques contour brush (part of the Core Collection) and a slender SpaceNK blush brush. I feel as though a MAC 168 is to be purchased.. Recommendations welcome!

Alas, whilst it does not shape-shift me into Lara Stone or Karlie Kloss, Kevyn Aucoin's Sculpting Powder can certainly help me cheat.

*photos used above are my own 

No comments:

Post a Comment